B-Good - South Portland, Maine

Restaurant Review


I had heard that B-Good had healthy food, was reasonably priced and was really good. So, I've wanted to stop by for myself and see what they are like.

"Cousin Oliver" burger
B Good - S. Portland
It is a walk-up order counter.  We let the person behind us go first as we needed time with the order. Kale and quinoa were touted in several different varieties.  Not being either a kale nor a quinoa fan my eyes immediately moved to the Burgers and sandwiches. Burger, Veggie Burger, Turkey Burger, or Chicken Sandwich. I ordered an “El Guapo” all-natural (whatever that means) beef burger with bacon, homemade jalapeno slaw, and jalapeno ranch. My wife ordered a “Cousin Oliver” Burger with Boston lettuce, tomato, onions, and Chef Tony’s homemade pickles.  We also ordered sweet potato fries to share.

We wondered to the drink station and got our drinks, napkins, and condiments.  They have Sir Kensington's catsup, which I found to taste very good.  We then found a table with really comfy red leather chairs. The table was wobbly – Oh well.

Sweet Potato Fries & "El Guapo" burger
B Good - South Portland, ME
It seemed a little long for the to be ready for this type of venue.  They called my name and I went up to get the burgers and sweet potato fries.  Oh my, possibly the worst burger I’ve had in several years. Burned to a hockey puck super well done, dry on a cold bun.  The saving grace was the jalapeno slaw was okay.  I would have like much more jalapeno in my slaw. Likewise, the jalapeno ranch dressing needed more flavor and hotness, but the taste was okay. Thanks to generous slices of tomato and pickles looked scrumptious. However, her burger was very well done, not to the hockey puck stage, but mashed dry and juicy-less.  The sweet potato fries were awful. Clearly made without care as there were many regular fries mixed in. They were also a mix of burned and soggy fries.

I’ll admit some of the Kale and Grain Bowls that I saw other people having looked pretty good, and maybe those are B-Good’s forte and the burgers are not. However, our experience with the burgers was bad enough we won’t be back.

Ratings

  • Ambiance: 4 (Really nice, comfortable, spacious seating; excellent for conversations.)
  • Food: 2 (All food items we had had problems.) 
  • Service: 2 (Cashiers were friendly but you pick up your own order, bus your own tables, etc.)
  • Price: 4 (Lunch was under $12 each, not including drinks)
  • Value: 3 ()


Conclusion

We won’t be returning. It is only .7 miles up the road to Five Guys which has much better food, although probably not near so healthy.

b.good, 200 Gorham Rd, South Portland, ME 04106




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chef George’s Auto Mile Diner, Saco Maine

Bridge Street Cafe - Rockford, MN

Review – Home Chef - Meal Delivery Service