Restaurant Review – Q Street Diner

Background

image of sign for Q Street Diner, South Portland,ME
Sign: Q Street Diner, South Portland
I have long heard of the “Q Street Diner” in the center of “Knightville” in South Portland, I’ve heard they have a great breakfast and an excellent burger. Recently, I was going from an appointment in Falmouth to the South Portland Library Genealogy Group meeting and thought I’d swing by the Q-Street Diner and give them a try. 

Seating

I arrived about noon and was by myself so I just waked up to the small counter near the kitchen pass shelf and seated myself.

Ordering

It was a little late for breakfast, so I decided to order a burger for lunch. I’m still in search of the world’s greatest onion rings, so I substituted onion rings for fries.

I was a little surprised when I saw, what appeared to be my order on the pass shelf.  After it being there for several minutes and seeing the waitress pass by several times, I pointed towards, with a quizzical look on my face. She indicated the order was just waiting for the meat to be cooked. Sure enough, a few minutes later one of the cooks added the meat to the plate, added a couple strips of bacon. Quickly, the waitress delivered it. 

Food

Bacon Cheeseburger with Onion Rings
Q Street Diner, South Portland, ME
The onion rings were as I expected they would be, warm but not hot after sitting under a heat lamp for many minutes. The tomato and the lettuce were not cold, but they weren’t hot as I feared they would be. The burger was clearly hand formed from loosely ground hamburger, not a frozen, preformed burger.  It was well done, rather than the medium I asked for, but it still had some juiciness and flavor. The bun was okay and slightly toasted. The bacon was crispy and the garlic mayo was tasty.  The onion rings I received had several “nearly skin” pieces that didn’t taste very good.

Parking can be a challenge at the Q-Street Diner. They have a small lot alongside, which is not near enough for all their clientele. I was surprised to learn that they don’t take credit cards, but apparently, they do have an ATM available.  Luckily, I had cash and didn’t need to avail myself of the ATM. (I hate paying ATM fees.)

Rating: 3.2

  • Ambiance: 3 (Typical diner environment.)
  • Food:  3 (Burger okay, tomato not ripe, onion rings below average.) 
  • Service: 4 (Server was friendly and attentive.)
  • Price: 3. 
  • Value: 3  

Conclusion

The Q-Street Diner was okay. I saw some really nice looking breakfasts go by so, I’ll probably go back sometime for breakfast. But with so many other restaurants in the Knightville area of South Portland, I’ll probably try one of them for my next lunch there. 

Location:

Q Street Diner
9 Q Street
South Portland, ME 04106
Website: qstreetdiner.com

Q Street Diner Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chef George’s Auto Mile Diner, Saco Maine

Bridge Street Cafe - Rockford, MN

Review – Home Chef - Meal Delivery Service