Restaurant Review – The Clambake, Scarborough, Maine


Background

Because of COVID, it has been a long time since we have been out to a proper restaurant. We’ve done a lot of curbside and drive-thru pickup, but now that we have our COVID vaccinations and mask-wearing is becoming optional in Maine, I think we will be going out much more often. I also thought I’d start up this food blog again. This week, we thought we’d try The Garage at Pine Point. Unfortunately, we were eating about 3:30, and The Garage doesn’t open until 4 pm. So, instead, we went across the street to The Clambake. 

Arrival

The Clambake current hours are 11 am to 8 pm, seven days a week. We arrived about 3:40, and there were only a few people there. 

Ordering

Ordering is done in a line that leads to several cash registers. We placed our order for what we considered a “late lunch” and received our receipt with the call number. Then we walked across the hall to the bar. The bartender was pleasant and provided the drinks in plastic cups. My wife’s whisky soda was a bit watered down. I tried a new (to me) beer, “So Folkin’ Hoppy IPA,” by the Funky Bow Brewery and Beer Company. It was a medium full-flavored, only slightly hoppy beer. I enjoyed it. 

Seating

As I mentioned, there were very few people when we were there, so we sat in the far back where the windows look out upon Scarborough Marsh. We watched the cranes and cormorants fishing and gobbling their catch. I was surprised there weren’t any seagulls.  Probably because there was a plethora of signs saying “DO NOT FEED THE SEAGULLS.” 

Food Arrival

“Number 141, Your Order is Ready” came across the loudspeakers, so I headed up to pick up the food. A nice touch is that it came on larger hard plastic trays and not flimsy paper trays as some shore dinner places use. I asked for catsup, tartar sauce, and salt. The server person provided plenty and asked if that was enough. It definitely was. 

Food

I had the “Jaws Burger,” a Haddock Club Sandwich. Really excellent. The bun was delicious and toasted. There were two long slices of thick-cut bacon along with tomatoes, lettuce, and cheese. On top was an impressive slab of fried haddock that covered the entire bun. It was more than enough for a hungry man. The fries that came with were bland, straight from the bag of industrial crinkle-cut fries. I like to drag them through tartar sauce which is my favorite way. By the way, the tartar sauce was definitely homemade, but it too was bland. My only real detraction was the bacon could have been cooked a bit more. I like mine really crispy, almost burned.

My wife, who seldom does seafood, decided on a hot dog and an order of onion rings. (We are still on a search for the perfect onion ring.) The dog and bun were both nicely grilled. It tasted like a homemade relish—one of the better dogs she had recently. The onion rings were the smaller, hard crust type that my wife prefers. I prefer bigger, thicker onion rings, but to her, they were close to perfect. 

Another nice touch is that they had to-go boxes and napkins out and available at several places to use for your left-overs. I liked not needing to go back and ask for them or additional napkins. 


Ratings

Ambiance: 4 (Clean and open, suitable for conversations.)
Food: 4 (The bacon was a bit floppy.) 
Service: 3 (The order taker, bartender, and pickup person were personable and friendly; however, there is no tableside service.)
Price: 4 (Lunch was under $15 each, not including drinks)
Value: 4 (Reasonable prices, good food, and a great view made for a pleasant lunch.) 

Conclusion

Next trip, if I order any of the Club Sandwiches, I’ll be sure to ask for the bacon to be extra crispy. I also wish they had a seafood salad. Their menu presents three chicken salads (grilled, Buffalo, and Caesar) and sides portion sizes of a house salad, potato egg salad, and coleslaw. 

Location

The Clambake is in Scarborough along Pine Point Road (County 9) just before the “T” intersection where County 9 turns right to become East Grand Avenue, and Jones Creek Drive goes to the left towards Bayley’s Lobster Pound.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chef George’s Auto Mile Diner, Saco Maine

Bridge Street Cafe - Rockford, MN

Review – Home Chef - Meal Delivery Service